Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Williams Heavily Avoided & Feared


In the very last post I mentioned about being "stuck like a rock in a hard place", well with regards to that. Here is another rock that goes by the name of Paul "The Punisher" Williams, upon further look he reminds you of a created character from a video game. He is freakishly tall, rangy and dangly looking. A 6'2" 26-year old southpaw from Aiken, South Carolina, is one of four recognized world champions in the welterweight division – arguably the most talent-blessed weight class in professional boxing today. The others being Miguel Cotto (WBA), Kermit Cintron (IBF) and the pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (WBC). If it were not for the fact that he holds the WBO version; he would not get any fights at all.

Here is the Punisher's take on the boxing scene:“In some ways I feel good, but when I hear guys don’t want to fight me I feel bad. How can they call themselves world champions or top contenders and be afraid to fight me?” Williams shared. “I will just have to do what we did with Margarito, and not allow the other champions the ability to run from me…it can get frustrating though.

“Guys don’t want to get in the ring with me because they know they are going to have to fight. They know that I’m not going to be showboating for the camera. I am going to fight and fight for the whole three minutes of every round. They don’t want to fight someone like that.”

“I heard he (Cotto) was looking to fight (Alphonso) Gomez next,” said Williams. “That would be tragic. I told my team, I would fight Cotto in my ‘home away from home’ of Puerto Rico next.”

For Paul Williams it will be a long journey to get any of the other welterweights to get in the ring with him, he may be just like Hagler in regards to the fact that he may spend years on the sideline waiting for that mega or unification bout.

No comments: