Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hopkins-Calzaghe Is On!!


Joe Calzaghe and Bernard Hopkins will finally get it on, at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas on April 19, it was confirmed today at a London press conference. The fight will take place at light-heavyweight and will be screened by HBO in America and Setanta Sports in the UK. Hopkins ring magazine title is also at stake, which means a slide up or down the pound-for-pound rankings.it is reported that 6,000 tickets have already been purchased by Sports Network to accommodate Calzaghe's fan base. The tickets in the US go on sale Feb. 6th.

Calzaghe had this to say at the conference:"This is a dream come true,""People always ask me 'When are you going to America?' and now they've got their answer. I won't be taking Hopkins lightly, but I believe I have the tools to beat him."

Promoter Frank Warren, who will promote the fight in partnership with Hopkins' handlers, Golden Boy Promotions, added: "It's taken a lot of hard work but I'm delighted that we have a deal.

"I've always wanted Joe to fight Hopkins, because I believe he has the beating of him.

"We've seen in the past how many British fight fans have gone to America to see fights involving our guys, and I'm sure people will go in their thousands again."

This fight should be stylistic nightmare for each other. Calzaghe will more than likely be the favorite, but don't under estimate Bernard Hopkins the man knows how to win at any cost. Hopkins is also 11-0 against southpaws, he's also the slightly bigger man. Calzghe is a superior southpaw whereas, no sparring partner in the world can prepare you for a Joe Calzaghe. One thing I know for sure is that both future Hall of Fame's first ballot inductees are in fight shape right this moment.

No comments: