Friday, January 18, 2008

UFC Vs. EliteXC

Gary Shaw and Dana White have begun to flirt with some ideas about which organization is better. I happen to like both organizations, but lean a little more towards EliteXc because I like the fighters that they have. Kimbo Slice, Antonio "Big Foot" Silvia, Jake Sheilds, Nick Diaz, Edison Berto, and "Crazy Horse" Bennet are my favorite MMA Fighters.When it comes to marketing and making a brand know, the UFC is #1 in that category. Dana White and his staff did an amazing job bringing this sport to mainstream ,when in the beginning they had no help at all. Many insiders never thought that this would get to regular television.

A recent conference call the media threw this topic out there and Gary Shaw had some remarks to make. All I'm saying is, and I've said it all along, there is a differentiator. If you fight for the UFC, you can't be bigger than Dana White and the UFC,” said Shaw.

“If you fight for EliteXC, as a fighter, you're bigger than Gary Shaw. It's about the fighter. It's not about me. Whether it's Kimbo, who was signed to us, or any other fighter. I believe we represent some of the greatest fighters in the world. I believe that Antonio ‘Big Foot’ Silva could knockout any heavyweight in the UFC.”

I'm not disparaging the UFC. They have some great fighters and great fights. They have a good brand,” he stated. “They do a good job marketing their brand, but they don't own MMA. They don't own the space. They have a brand.

“You know what, if you hold up the belt there, all you are is the club champion. Until Dana White is willing to fight his fighters against other brands; all they are is club champions.”

A challenge was thrown out by Shaw to let the fighters face each other. Shaw being a current boxing promoter is used to watching the best in the world fight the best in the world. I seriously doubt that the two will ever co-promote an event unless there is a strong demand from the public for this. For now everyone will just establish their own brand. The UFC is the equivalent of Walmart in the MMA culture.

4 comments:

mks68 said...

There is not a single Elitexc heavywieght that could beat the UFC heavtwieghts. Kimbo is a joke. I do think that Dana White will eventually destroy the UFC, but for now I don't think Elitexc has the fighters to compete.

Vk said...

If by any chance UFC vs. EliteXC dose take place. Kimbo should fight Brock Lesner. Now that's a show for the ages. People will be pay BIG BUCKS to see that fight. Both have that street fight style. Plus Kimbo hasn’t been really challenged he's been fighting NO NAMES and WASH UPS. Give the man a real test. I bet any money KIMBO will lose.

VK

Unknown said...

Elite xc is so incredibly fixed it makes me sick. The kimbo fight was a joke. I have some much to say about this, but I don’t even want to waste anymore time on this joke of a fighting organizations website. When you know anything about mma and you see plain and simple that they let go of what would have been a fight ending kimora, its hard to think this fight wasn’t fixed beyond belief. Then again why would you want your “prize” fighter to lose. Also, Kimbo Slice is the most over rated person on this earth. He would loss to ever light heavy weight on the UFC pay role.

starbrite8193 said...

I think EliteXCs entrance to mainstream was a little bit too much like WWE. The fights didn't seem too intense. I watch fights for the technique and the fighting. The commentary was horrendous because they had no clue what they were talking about. I think a white belt in BJJ could have done a better job.