Monday, January 7, 2008

The Road Warrior Ready For April 12 Showdown


Former Roy Jones jr. and Antonio Tarver conqueror world ranked light heavyweight challenger “Road Warrior” Glen Johnson has signed to fight WBC light heavyweight champion “Bad” Chad Dawson on April 12th on Showtime Championship Boxing.Johnson (47-11-2, 32 KOs) defeated Hugo Pineda by eighth round TKO in the non-televised co-main event of Saturday's Showtime Championship Boxing event featuring IBF jr welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi making his first title defense over challenger Herman Ngoudjo. After his victory over Pineda, Johnson joined Showtime announcers Steve Albert and Al Bernstein at ringside during the telecast to officially announce his opportunity against Dawson.

This is what was on Johnson's mind:“I hope Chad Dawson is ready for a fight,” commented Johnson, a two-time world champion and former “Fighter of the Year” (2004). “I feel good, I feel fast, strong and youthful. There has been a lot made of how young and fast he is and that he is the future of the division. I am looking forward to showing everybody that I am a world champion. It is very important for me to show the people that I can beat the young star. It’ll show that the young stars are afraid to fight me.”

“I am ready and willing making a run at the championship." Johnson also stated that other light heavy weight's hear his name, suddenly get amnesia and forgets that he is in the division. He sated it best after his KO over Roy Jones, when asked, Do you think you are the best? He flat out stated: "I'm not the best, just willing to fight the best."

Digg! StumbleUpon

No comments: