Monday, January 14, 2008

Calzaghe-Hopkins Almost Done Deal

Frank Warren the promoter of Joe Calzaghe has said that the fight is looking towards an April 12th date. The venue is as of yet undetermined but both the MGM Grand and the Mandalay Bay have been mentioned. Warren is set to make an official announcement at some point in time this week. Calzaghe told the South Wales Argus. “Fighting in America for the first time is the logical step for me to make. I will be thirty-six in March and the clock is ticking on how much longer I can carry on.” Calzaghe also admitted that a fight in the United States was long overdue.

“Fighting in America for the first time is the logical step for me to make. I don’t want people to look back at my career and say I defended my title over twenty times but I bottled the chance to make a big name for myself in the states.

Bernard Hopkins was pushing for the fight to wind up in Yankee Stadium, after the successful Floyd Mayweather – Ricky Hatton promotion in Las Vegas, in which thousands of Hatton fans traveled to the states trips from Manchester, Vegas became the only place that could afford this type of fight. The two fighters also engaged in a face-off at the MGM Grand, which staged Mayweather – Hatton, to get the promotional ball rolling. I will replay the video.



Digg! StumbleUpon

No comments: