Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Punisher: " I Want Them All"


It's hard being Paul Williams these days, when you're entrenched in a talent infested division. The talent goes so far that you can be overlooked because of other possible match-ups. When you are 6'2" 147 pounds and dodged you can honestly point the finger at something or someone other than yourself. So what is a fighter to do when you have called out everybody and to no avail, everyone seems to be gone till nevaworry 31st or has some sort of hand injury or prior commitment. There are even fighters rumored to turn down one million dollars just to avoid him. If Paul Williams had the mouth of Paulie Malignaggi he could definitely get his self more fights than he can handle. If Paul Williams had the temperament of James Toney a riot would breakout at virtually every press conference. It's just too bad that Paul Williams is a nice, respectable person outside of the ring.

His promoter Dan Goossen had this to say:
“For as long as I have been in this sport,” Goossen says, “I have never seen a fighter turn down a million dollars and a unification fight for half that to be on an undercard.” Goossen believes his fighter isn’t being avoided due to a low profile but rather out of fear of his combined size and style. “You avoid Cory Spinks,”(A stylistic nightmare) “but you fear Paul Williams. As evidence, you only have to look at Kermit Cintron.”

“I think we have already made our statement,” says Goossen, referring to the Margarito fight. “I think the real question is what will the other champion do to state their case for being the best welterweight in the world? I don’t care who comes out on top. If they don’t fight Paul Williams, they can’t call themselves champion.”

Here is how Paul Williams feels:“I let my fists do the talking.,” “I don’t worry about them other guys,” “My main focus is to keep winning and eventually get a big fight with [the other champions]. As long as I keep winning they are going to have to end up fighting me. Guys know I’m a tough match up. And they know I’m going to fight them every second of every round. Me? I just want to beat them all. Nothing else matters to me. No matter what happens in the ring I just want to keep winning. That’s my main focus. Just do what I been doing.”

Watch This Video Clip And See Why He Is Avoided:

No comments: