Sunday, February 3, 2008

Khan Pitches Shutout


Ahmir Khan retained his Commonwealth lightweight title against Gairy St Clair at the ExCeL Arena, London. It was the type of test he needed to see if he was the real deal. I would like to take my hat off to St. Clair who pressured Khan every single second of every round, and had some success in the second half of the fight. Khan deserved to win his combinations flowed like water, his hand-speed was blinding and he picked his punches well. He looked very well going the distance, he did not seem to tire. In only his 16th pro fight to take on this type of opposition say an awful lot about his character, competence and commitment to his craft. St Clair, who has gone the distance with Diego Corales and Vivian Harris did everything he was supposed to do but just came up short. All three judges' scorecards read 120-108, I still don't think that anybody will be quick to be lining St. Clair up as an opponent any time soon.

Khans comments on his performance:
"I've beaten a world-class opponent and I want to become world champion this year," Khan said afterwards.

"I've always wanted to do 12 rounds - and now I have. Every shot I hit him with, he kept coming back. He was so strong.

"A few times I caught with good shots and thought he might go. But he was coming and coming - and I had to pace myself.

"I'd done the training and knew I had the fitness in the tank to go the 12 rounds.

"My strength helped a lot. We've done lower-body strength and upper-body strength work - and it all paid off."

Frank Warren added: "That was an excellent performance. To win every one of the 12 rounds was just outstanding.

"I don't think anyone can complain about that one - or about the opponent."

Khan, now 16-0 (12) probably learned more in this fight than his previous 15 combined.

I would not be surprised if he invades the U.S. sometime this year as there are not shortage of lightweigh talent here.

No comments: